Registering a death

A death must be registered by law. It is best to do this in the registration district where it took place as this will prevent any delays. For the death to be registered the registrar will require a medical certificate of cause of death (unless the coroner is involved).

The death should be registered by a close relative, wherever possible this should be the next of kin. It is necessary to make an appointment to register a death. A list of offices and contact telephone numbers is available here.

The following information will be required from you for registration of the death:
  • The date and place of death.
  • The full name of the deceased (and maiden name where applicable). Any previous names which may have been used.
  • The date and place of birth of the deceased.
  • The deceased’s occupation and the full names and occupation of their spouse/civil partner.
  • The deceased’s usual address.
  • Whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds.
  • If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership the date of birth of the spouse/civil partner.
  • The deceased’s National Health Service number or the medical card itself.

Although it is helpful for you to take copies of the deceased’s birth and marriage certificates, these are not essential for the registration as long as the information they contain can be provided. 

The registrar will issue you with a certificate of burial or cremation, referred to as ‘the green form’, this should be delivered to our office as soon as possible.

Certified copies of the death certificate can be purchased, the registrar will discuss with you how many copies you will require. These are required for Banks, Building Societies, Insurance Companies, Pensions, Stocks and Shares, Savings Certificates, Premium Bonds, Probate and Solicitors.

Tell us once service

When someone has died, there are many things that need to be done, one of these is contacting government departments and local services.

The registrar can give the information to the Department of Work and Pensions via the Tell Us Once Service and they can pass on the information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you. This service is optional and free of charge.

It is possible to report the death to the following organisations and services if you decide to use Tell Us Once

Local Councils

  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Libraries
  • Electoral Services
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children’s Services
  • Council Housing

Department of Work and Pensions

  • Benefits
  • Overseas Health Team

HM Revenue and Customs

  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation

Identity and Passport Service
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Ministry of Service Personnel and Veterans’ Agency
War Pensions Scheme

Information you will need to use the service:

  • National Insurance number and date of birth.
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving.
  • Driving Licence or Driving Licence number.
  • Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth.
  • Dates of recent stays in hospital.
  • If you are next of kin please take your own National Insurance number and/or date of birth.